Wednesday, July 26

The BEST Peach Crumble, Trust Me!



Trust me,  I've eaten my way through years of berry & peach pies, cobblers, tarts, crumbles, you name it! Growing up in a "pie family" with roots in Oklahoma and baking with lard & Crisco, I like to think I know what I'm talking about on this subject. Thanksgiving Eve is known in our family as "Pie Nite" where my aunts and uncles stay up late baking almost a pie a person for Thanksgiving, over the years it's grown into it's own holiday. (Jason & I even had two dozen homemade pies at our wedding instead of cake!) As much as I love a good flaky crust, I'm a sucker for a simple crumble because in the summer heat it's just so easy to make, versatile (use what you've got) and barely any time needed in oven.



I know this is not an Italian recipe but the stone fruit is local and off the charts sweet and juicy and just begging to be baked! Jason has tested and I have tried numerous crumble recipes through the years trying to find the perfect, crispy, crumbly, sweet topping I remember as a kid. Some were too buttery, some too sweet, some...just didn't come out right at all. That is until we turned to good ol' Martha Stewart. She has a ton of versions on her site but this one makes a finer crumble than others and creates the perfect crunchy top  We can't take credit for "Mrs. Kostyra's Streusel Topping" whoever she is her streusel topping makes the BEST crumble! (UPDATE: I was kindly sent a message that Mrs. Kostyra is Martha's mom! Well no wonder - !)

A peach/stone fruit crumble is perfect for two or a group of twenty for breakfast and/or dessert!
By the mix of photos you can tell we make this often at our farmhouse! I love the presentation in the individual mini pots but I must say carrying out the gorgeous oval copper gratin to the table and presenting it to the guests is a show stopper and serving it straight from the pan creates an instant feel of finishing your meal with family!




Crumble Topping
INGREDIENTS
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature

DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in the butter until fine crumbs form.

Using hands, squeeze together most of the mixture to form large clumps. The topping can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.



Peach Crumble
INGREDIENTS
Peaches (and or any stone fruit)
sugar
lemon juice
cornstarch
cinnamon if you like

DIRECTIONS
Slice the peaches and place in bowl with a little sugar and lemon juice and tiny bit of cornstarch. Add cinnamon as well if you like. Toss together & put in whatever you like: pie plate, individual pots, etc.

Top with crumble/streusel

Bake about 35-45 min. at 350/180 degrees until bubbly in the middle.

Let sit and cool. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream or gelato or a big spoonful of fresh whipped cream!



Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin