This year we had over 80 pepper plants in the ground yielding hundreds of pounds of peppers!! Needless to say we ate A LOT of peppers this summer & fall! They have such a great flavor & we used them in tons of dishes. But everyone's favorite is peperonata or stewed peppers. They are delicious piled on crostini to soak up the juices or even better with grilled sausages - awesome! (Not to mention - this is THE perfect lunch or dinner to feed a hungry crowd for a football game!)
Stewed Peppers4-5 bell peppers, cut into large pieces, cleaned
a big handful of whole cherry tomatoes
1 yellow onion sliced
2 cloves of garlic
- In a large skillet or pot , heat 1/3 cup of olive oil.
- Saute garlic until golden brown & then discard.
- Reduce heat to low & slowly saute the onion 12 - 15 minutes until well cooked. but do not brown it.
- Raise heat & add peppers.
- Season with plenty of salt & pepper.
- Allow peppers to cook, stirring frequently 10 minutes until the ends start to shrivel.
- At this point, throw in your cherry tomatoes & allow to cook another 10 -15 minutes until the peppers are soft & not mushy and the cherry tomatoes have let their juices out.
- Taste to check the seasonings.
- Serve hot, warm or cold.