Friday, September 11

A Black Cat, La Madonna and Sheer Luck!

It started like any other day & I was off to town, cruising down via Candigliano - a packed gravel road (strada bianca), that we drive down a million times a day, when all of a sudden - seriously - a black cat ran across the road. (The little kitten belongs to our neighbor Mariellena & I didn’t want to hit her cat). I swerved hard to the left, sliding from the gravel & realized I was aiming at a guard rail for the river so then I yanked it to the right - that when I lost all control with the rear end coming out from under me.

I saw a tree coming straight at me, then I was off the road & in the brush. Damn! This is when I knew for sure I was in the middle of my first car accident. Next thing I know I am sopra sotto -upside down - - literally standing on the ceiling of the car (I have no idea how I got out of my seat belt) & the first thing I did was turn off the car for fear of an explosion. My mind was racing & the tactical training of all those episodes of Oprah & Discovery Channel programs on escaping death was kicking in! Asses the situation & get the hell outta here!

Upsidedown & barricaded in the car by brush & trees, I couldn’t get the door open enough to escape (this is when the hammer of life would have come in handy). I started banging on the horn & shouting for help "aiuti me!!!", I was ready to break a window when Cielso appeared - my saint!
Saint Cielso

I was most nervous that the car was going to continue to roll down the rest of the hill. Cielso reassurmed it was safe. He kept me calm & chopped away large branches & sticker bushes so the door could open just enough for me to slip out. He was so concered because I lost my shoes in the car & was jumping down ontop of sharp thorns, I could care less - I just wanted out of that car! He ran & got me a pair of old work boot to wear home! I walked away TOTALLY & completely fine- just shaken up and forever grateful to someone who has never met me!

I couldn't believe the car when I saw it from above! Man, this car is totalled - I was sure of it!

In classic small-town Italy, our dear neighbors (Franco, Piero, Robert & Bruno) immediatly rallied around & pulled the car up & out in no time at all!

Now here's the kicker: There was nothing wrong with the car - no broken glass, no broken plastic pieces even the rear view mirrors still in tact! Jason drove it home later that day!


Back in the saddle again!!

Locals credit this fortunate event to the fact that the day before was the Festa della Madonna in Piobbico & we were there to celebrate this most holy festival with the community. This is no laughing matter, they feel that because I was there at the festival, the Madonna was with me for the accident! I was told by all to go light a candle, find out what saint's day it is (September 9th is Santo Sergio by the way - I just had to look it up).... and next time hit the cat!
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin